News from the Pipemaking Workshop with the Funk.
Talbert Pipes Website - Kentucky Fried Popcorn - My Web Comic.

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Whoah. Time changes things.

Flashback! It's 1997. I decide to offer, out of simple curiosity, a few of my pipes for sale online to see if anyone is even interested. This one is the first sale. If I recall correctly, it sold for around $225 - a sum that, at the time, was considered both enormous and preposterous for a brand new pipemaker to dare ask, and I caught flak and flames for the next couple of years over actually asking the sort of prices I need to get for my labor.

Normally when a pipe is smoked, its resell value drops to half or less, with America pipemakers of that time (a short ten years ago) often suffering even more ignominious fates as their $300 new pipes resold as estates for $75.

So, imagine my surprise when, after nearly ten years of smoking, this pipe recently sold in estate condition on ebay for $865! I guess this means I've arrived, or something. For my part, I feel like I'm just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment