So, this block looked perfectly fine from the outside - no visible flaws, cracks, or splits. Then I made the first bandsaw cuts.
No worries, though. A little putty and no one will ever know... :D
On the serious side, I realize this is the first blog post I've made here for ages, but I've been abominably busy. I've got several topics kicking around in my head, including one on drilling, drilling angles, why airholes are drilled in certain ways, etc, but have not at all had the sort of time to assemble such an article (with accompanying sketches and such). I'll be back eventually, please bear with us. Rumors of the blog's demise are highly exaggerated!