News from the Pipemaking Workshop with the Funk.
Talbert Pipes Website - Kentucky Fried Popcorn - My Web Comic.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Need Spackle

So, this block looked perfectly fine from the outside - no visible flaws, cracks, or splits. Then I made the first bandsaw cuts.

!!!

No worries, though. A little putty and no one will ever know... :D

On the serious side, I realize this is the first blog post I've made here for ages, but I've been abominably busy. I've got several topics kicking around in my head, including one on drilling, drilling angles, why airholes are drilled in certain ways, etc, but have not at all had the sort of time to assemble such an article (with accompanying sketches and such). I'll be back eventually, please bear with us. Rumors of the blog's demise are highly exaggerated!

2 comments:

  1. OUCH!!

    Now that's a nice flaw! Its so darn ugly that is beautiful. You ought to see if you could actually use it in the design of a pipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing worse is sanding a pipe you have spent a few hours on and finding a small "spec"- making the mistake of sanding it more to find out it turns into a hole at the junction of the shank and bowl...

    The whole hole, so to speak, turned out to be nearly 10mm across which made me utter some unholy phrases.

    ReplyDelete