News from the Pipemaking Workshop with the Funk.
Talbert Pipes Website - Kentucky Fried Popcorn - My Web Comic.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Getting Over-enthused

Pipe of the Moment - I was REALLY trying to get this one finished in January but it spilled over by a day. It's a classic example of over-enthusiasm. I started out trying to do an order for a fellow pipemaker, for a similar-yet-simpler shape, and just got carried away when it became obvious that this was going to be an excellent sandblasting example. It ended up being quite a bit over his hoped-for budget and will probably be shooting over to Pipe & Pint very shortly unless I hear from someone by email that wants to buy it direct.

Note - this pipe is now SOLD.

This happens to me too often. I have a hard time restraining myself from trying to make every pipe the very best pipe I can, and I'm bad about overshooting requests for lower or middle grade pipes.

The stem here is cast acrylic in a swirled, custom-colored look - It isn't meant to even try to imitate amber, but rather to be somewhere between faux-amber and some of the really radical colored stems I've seen. The bit is a fair bit thicker than my norm, as I've found the material to be more brittle under hard biting, and I don't want it cracking for anyone after all the labor of making such a handmade stem already!

Please note that the price does not include European VAT, so buyers in EU countries will need to pay TVA as well.

I'd originally intended to write an article about the sandblasted meerschaums I've made using white Somalian meer, but I think I'll leave that till tomorrow. For now, a little preview pic can be seen here. Sandblasting makes an interesting surface on meer. Alas, these pipes are totally unmarketable and I don't make them for sale, which I'll talk about in the next post.

3 comments:

  1. Trever,

    You're killing me. That blast is beautiful and I have a sinking feeling that that one started out as my commission! If so you've hit the nail on the head. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trever,

    I don't see why a sandblasted Meer should be unmarketable. Especially the depicted pipe looks absolutely charming, even for me who doesn't have a strong liking for pipes of this material. But let's see what you write about this topic.

    Regarding the Talbert Briar: Simply a gorgeous pipe. A pity for the guy who ordered it (but as far as I know you his order will be filled some day in the future), a joy for the lucky one who will own it. ;-)

    Keep up your great work!

    Happy puffing,

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Stephen, that one started out to be meant for you. Unfortunately, I got a bit carried away and exceeded your budget by a goodly bit. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete